Wednesday, January 9, 2013

First OWH Shipment of 2013 -- v2.0



Hi everyone,

In case you didn't know, postage rates are going up on January 27. So, Operation Write Home is sponsoring a new card challenge.

racetomailboxemail

I am pleased to say I sent in my first card shipment of the year this afternoon. The box was filled with lots of kid-friendly Bo Bunny Blast Off cards along with a mixture of others, including a few spring-flower-inspired cards and a few Any Hero cards. :)

So, how do you celebrate the first shipment of the year?

By starting on shipment #2, of course!  The card below was inspired by this week's CAS-ual Fridays challenge to make a thank you card -- and my love of travel.

Computer-Generated background and sentiment
Ranger core paper; miscellaneous gems

So, this is version 1.0 of a card expressing "thank you" in lots of languages. [Wish the scan had turned out better. Looks like I need to take a closer at look at Nancy's tutorial on taking better photos :).]

I'm planning on playing around with this concept a bit more, but this is the process I used for this first attempt.
  • Using Mistral font and an online translator, I created several backgrounds as a Word document file. (Please e-mail me at cards[dot]by[dot]sybrina[at]gmail[dot]com if you'd like me to e-mail my Word doc files.)
  •  I chose a classic black and white palette with a red accent.
  • Next, I decided to use crystal gems and placed these under 3 of the words that would be among the most familiar.
  • I tried several shapes and several shades of red before deciding upon the nested ovals shown, with the larger oval cut from Ranger Distress Ink core paper.  (This was one time I sure wish I had a Cricut that could make a fancier, more elegant shape.)
  •  Penultimately -- following a consultation with hubby, I added a few gems around the smaller oval for a stronger connection between the background sentiments and the focal sentiment. 
  • Lastly, I cleaned up my space! :  
Don't you hate it when the men in our lives are right?

So, I showed the card above to hubby. As normal, he wasn't thrilled by the gems -- and said something about a man not being to send a card like that. 

Then he offered a couple of suggestions. 

So, an edited Word document and a couple of sheets of Ranger Core Paper later, the card below was born. As much as I hate to admit, I really do like card fit for a man. :)

Ranger Core Paper, sanded and inked with Distress Ink Vintage Photo
 

 Parting Thoughts

Hoping to try a few more versions of this multi-language thank you concept, including a suggestion or two made by hubby. Thanks for stopping by. Happy scrappin'!

3 comments:

Angie Tieman said...

How cool is this?! It's like a hybrid card mixing stamping with technology! Love the whole concept with your love of travel! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at CAS-ual Fridays!

Carol L said...

THis is a cool card, and a wonderful idea, and I think your husband has some really good input and ideas! I'd be grateful if my hubby took that much interest in my cards :) Keep up the great work!

BobbisTreasure said...

Wow! Great combination of techniques, and love the multiple language concept!