Sunday, May 6, 2012

Rebels with a Cause: Making Patriotic Cards

Hi, everyone,

Welcome to Stop #7 on OWH's Card-Making Party Blog Hop in honor of National Scrapbooking Weekend! If you've arrived here via other means and would like to check out the other stops on the hop, visit Stars and Stamps.

To view all stops on the hop, visit Stars and Stamps.

When Sandy e-mailed the blog hop theme was being rebellious because we are rebels who scrap cards instead of scrapbook pages, a twist on the James Dean classic movie Rebel without a Cause immediately came to mind. I suggested a blog stop entitled Rebels with a Cause, with this stop's cause being making patriotic cards.

This Stop's Challenge: Patriotic "Sister Cards"

So, my challenge is to make two patriotic cards -- one Any Hero card and one blank card to be sent back home. And, I'm asking that the cards be "sister cards".

What are sister cards, you ask? Okay, sister cards  is a totally made-up phrase -- at least as far as I know. But, for this purpose, sister cards are two cards that are similar in design and/or inspiration, but still different in their own way.

Sample Cards

For my sample cards, the inspiration was old-fashioned, patriotic bunting. I've wanted to make some bunting cards for awhile now but hadn't taken the time to play with the idea until now.

For extra texture and dimension, I embossed and inked the gray paper from DCWV. (Didn't this gray make a great neutral? The red, white, and blue just pop! Here's hoping that at least one of these counts for Allison's blue and gray challenge!) In addition, I crimped the watermelon cardstock on the blank card and scored it on the second card. Finally, I used just a touch of Stickles for the star centers on both cards and on the USA on the first card for a little extra oomph. :)

BLANK CARD: Paper: Bazzill admiral and watermelon, K&Company Americana mat pad, DCWV Christmas & Winter Combo; Stickles; funky fiber

ANY HERO: Paper: Bazzill admiral and watermelon, K&Company Americana mat pad, DCWV Christmas & Winter Combo; Stickles; baker's twine
So, I hope these sample cards give you an idea of what I mean by "sister cards". And, for information and ideas about what to write in an Any Hero card, click here.

Blog Candy

Is there candy, you ask? Why, yes, there is!  And what better candy for a patriotic challenge than a brand spanking new 6 by 6 pad of Bo Bunny Liberty paper. (Those of you who visit regularly know how much I love my Bo Bunny!)  One lucky card-maker will receive this wonderful paper pad from my own personal stash. :)


To qualify for the Bo Bunny raffle:
  • Link one card for 1 "ticket". 
  • Link its sister card for 2 additional "tickets".
The winner will be announced on May 11 in Friday Night Writes.

Ready, Set, Scrap!

Thanks for stopping! I can't wait to see your patriotic "sister cards"!  (Remember, that any cards that specifically refer to the 4th of July should be in shippers' hands by the end of the month.)

And, don't forget there's one more stop on this weekend's hop! 


'

6 comments:

Donna Hanley said...

Sybrina, Great cards. I really like how you dotted the centers of the stars. Great Idea.

Lee Mae said...

Love your idea for this challenge! I'll have to get busy!

Sherry Hickey said...

Hi Sybrina! Patriotic is always a great theme for us and I really like your idea for "sister" cards! I've got one done and will keep workin'! Great challenge; great cause!

Dolores said...

Nice idea for a challenge...never would have thought of making "sister cards" but I guess we do that a lot as we make multiple cards with slight changes. Thanks for hosting this and inspiring us.

Nancy Keller said...

Oh my gosh! I can't wait to do this one! It will have to wait until tomorrow though. :( wow, how generous, that is one of my favorite paper sets ever! Go figure... Lol

Paula S. said...

What a great pair of cards and a fun challenge too! I love red, white an blue and the grey in these makes a really nice base. I didn't get much crafting done this weekend but I hope to be back to join in before the week is over. :)