Saturday, August 31, 2013

OWH VCMP: Labor Day 2013

Hi, everyone.

Before I get to my first card of the day, I'd like to share a quick story about hubby. He uses the computer a lot the first couple of days of each month for budget-related things. I shared with him the importance of me using the computer today and tomorrow. To try to put this cardmaking party in perspective, I told him it was OWH's Super Bowl!

So, when I put it to him that way, he reluctantly acquiesced his computer time. Guess my little analogy worked. :)

Now for today's first card.


Nancy definitely got this party started with a great challenge to make a winter-themed or Christmas card based on her terrific sketch. Thanks, Nancy, for a fun opening challenge.

For the card below, I went with snowflakes instead of squares. The base of the card is from one of my all-time favorite paper collections, and I let the sentiment at the bottom of the paper stand on its own. Glossy accents were added to each snowflake for a little shimmer against the dp.

dp: Bo Bunny snowfall; cardstock: Ac and Bazzill
EK snowflake punch; Zig 2 way glue
Updated with lighter blue, glossy-accented snowflakes


In another great challenge, Diane asks us to make a card inspired by O, W, and H. So, the card below features an oval with an ornament on white paper that is heat embossed in silver. 


dp: We R Memory Keepers Winter Frost
cardstock: Distress Ink core, Bazzill black
Stampin' Up! stamp and punch; Martha Stewart punch
OWH fundraiser ribbon; garage sale brad
Creative Memories oval cutting system



In this challenge, Seongsook challenges us to use a triple die technique. Two extra challenges for me are that I only have one set of Nestabilities (scalloped circles) and a garage-sale die-cutting machine that I still haven't quite figured out.

Regardless, the card below was definitely made in the spirit of the challenge. It's a little busier than my usual cards. And, even thought the dp is Winter Frost, this could easily be a spring card.

Despite my personal obstacles, I enjoyed learning a new technique. Thanks, Seongsook for a really interesting challenge and LOVELY sample cards.

We R Memory Keepers Winter Frost; Bazzill cardstock
OWH fundraising ribbon
sentiment heat embossed in Distress Ink walnut stain
Nestabilities dies; Marvy and Paper Studio punches


How appropriate that Annette used Sketch #29 to make a love card in honor of her and her hubby's 29th wedding anniversary. :)



Turns out my love card was made using those cardmaking supplies that I absolutely love:
  • a CAS sketch 
  • my couldn't-scrap-without-it ATG gun
  • my wouldn't-want-to-scrap-without-it Stampin' Up! trimmer
  • Distress Inks and core paper
  • Paper Smooches stamps
  • a Stampin' Up! goodie (embossing folder)
  • garage-sale finds (brads, heat gun)
Happy 29th Annette! Wishing you at least 29 more. :)


For this challenge, Donna is having us use a block stamping technique involving masking tape. It looks super easy. For some reason, it took me a while to figure this one out. But, I'm so glad I stuck with it. This card is so different from my typical cards... different in a really good way.  :)

Distress Ink watercolor paper, spritzed with Ranger mini mister
inkadinkado sentiment in StazOn black
Bazzill black, Distress Ink core, Paper Studio brads

I was originally going to put some kind of colorful ribbon on the left. Then I realized the watercolor paper needed black matting to pop the colors off the white background, and added the brads to give it a mounted painting kind of look.

Thanks, Donna, for introducing me to a totally new technique that seems to have a lot of potential.



When I saw today's sketch, I was wondering if I could get three fabric strips to work for the three vertical banners. So, some ribbons and a vintage-feel embellishment are the stars of today's Any Hero card.

Authentique Pride dp; Distress Ink antique linen
Paper Smooches and Ribbon Boutique ribbons
K and Company epoxy sticker
embellishement
Elmer's Craft Fabric and Paper Glue

Thanks, Marlene, for starting Day 2 off with a great CAS sketch!



I was thrilled when this challenge came up because I wanted a do-over on a previously posted fall card. On the card below, the leaves were colored by dabbing on the ink with cotton swamps.

OWH Sketch #165, which I followed pretty literally  :)
paper: green and rust/orange: Distress Ink core; dark brown: Bazzill (or AC)
CraftSmart image, heat embossed and colored with Distress Inks
Fiskars border punch; OWH fundraiser ribbon

Thanks, Marilyn, for hosting such a timely challenge!



I originally thought about skipping this challenge... counting my earlier Bee Mine card for two challenges. Then this sentiment popped in my head while taking a walk. Well, that was all the motivation I needed. And, I am really pleased with the way this turned out!  :)

Paper Smooches stamps (Bee Mine and Alphadots); original sentiment
Distress Ink core paper; watercolor paper
Stampin' Up! embossing folder
inks: Distress Ink Fired Brick and StazOn Jet Black
Glossy Accents on bees and heart; stash ribbon ???

Since I'm not a Copic girl, I simply smeared some Distress Ink Scattered Straw on watercolor paper and stamped the bees over the ink. The letters in the sentiment were larger than the ones shown here. So, I scanned the stamped sentiment and played with printed out several different percentages to get the size shown here.

UPDATED 9/05/2013: Think I'll post these little bees for this month's Paper Smooches Guest Designer Challenge.


The Christmas trees were punched out of the dp. Then a strip of green dp was heat embossed in clear powder and placed behind the trees.

I don't often stamp over dp. But, I think it works here because of the deep brown (embossed) ink.

Really like the CAS feel of this card. :)

Echo Park Christmas This & That; Bazzill brown
Emagination punch
Hero Arts sentiment, heat embossed in Distress Ink walnut stain
Stampin' Up! brads

Thanks, Donna, for reminding me of a technique I should use more often. :)

Parting Thoughts

Whew!  That was sure a lot of fun, a lot of work... and I'm looking at a lot of cards to send in my next box to Kris!

Thanks to Allison, the OWH blog team, and the hostesses.

And, thanks to everyone who played along with the Cards 4 Kids challenge. Your linked cards are adorable!

Finally, all weekend long, I found myself asking, "What would Paula do?" Hopefully, I made some good Paula-inspired decisions. :)

7 comments:

byAnnette said...

Thanks for playing along!
The bees/bee mine are perfect anytime

Seongsook Duncan said...

All of your cards for the OWH VCMP challenges are awesome! Thanks for playing with the triple diecut technique.

Cheryl A said...

Wonderful cards! Really love the "tape" watercolor one, using the black mat really made it pop off the page. Your choice of ink colors are so vibrant, overall look is like a boutique professional card. Nice job!

Diane said...

I love all of your cards- fantastic! Thanks for participating in my challenge and for you support of our troops and OWH!

Marilyn Young said...

Thanks for taking the Fall challenge. I love the little leaves and how simple and crisp your card is. Great job!

Donna said...

Love your cards! Thank you for playing along with my challenge! Especially love your technique and the sentiment with it! Glad you had fun!

Donna said...

Great cards! I am still hoping to get to play along with your challenge but time seems to be slipping away from me this week. Cute idea for the negative challenge with the Christmas trees. Thanks for playing along with my challenge. Thanks for supporting OWH!