Sunday, January 6, 2013

1-2-3: 1 Sketch, 2 Cards, 3 Challenges

Hi everyone,

Hope you all had a chance to check out each cardmaker's post of Top Ten Cards of 2012. There were lots of wonderful cards to provide plenty of inspiration for this new year!

Speaking of the Top Ten posts, my sincerest thanks to all who visited my last post -- and special thanks to those who left such kind comments. It seems Frosty's L'il Friend and Jean Scene were the crowd favorites. Ironically enough, Jean Scene almost didn't make the list. Lol. :)

I have two cards to share, both of which are inspired by this week's OWH sketch challenge. The first is an Any Hero card that was made for this month's ODBD challenge to make a card using dry embossing. The second card is a romantic card for the Midweek Challenge to make a card with spring flowers.

This Week's Any Hero Card

Bo Bunny Liberty; Bazzill, including Admiral and Watermelon
Tools: Square, Circle, Star and Hole punches; crimper; Cuttlebug embossing folder
Other Technique: brushing with pastels to accentuate embossing
Other than not having the same size circle as the sketch circle, I tried to be pretty true to the sketch. Nothing much new here except that I adhered the red background, white rectangle and blue square cardstock pieces before embossing.

Romance in Blue and Yellow

Paper: My Mind's Eye Moments; Ribbon: Sheer Creations, Celebrate It!;
Embellishments: miscellaneous crystals; Technique: fussy cutting
I'm afraid this scanned image doesn't do this card justice -- I'm absolutely crazy about this one!. :)  The flower is 4-layered (a bottom layer of blue polka dot paper, 2 layers of the yellow flower separated by a pop dot, and a top layer for the center of the flower), with micro-thin crystals. To adhere these tiny crystals, I clustered the crystals on top of one small glue dot.

The ribbon treatment was inspired by two fellow OWHers. Thanks to Carol L for sharing her trick to adhere a flat ribbon and then loop loose ribbon to create a bow. Thanks to Bobbi for her idea to pair different colored ribbons on her sample card.

Parting Thoughts

So, how's everyone doing with their crafting goals? I was thinking my post-cardmaking clean-up goal might be a little ambitious -- and then I read all of your comments. Now I'm thinking it's lots ambitious. (Seriously, what was I thinking but... so far, so good!) So, here's my Week 1 report card:
  • making Any Hero and Midweek Throwdown cards from a weekly sketch: A
  • leaving comments: B-/C+ (numerous comments for Top Ten posts, 1 comment for today's sketch post, but 0 comments for the Midweek Throwdown)
  • cleaning up the craft room: A+
Had to get a new cutting board this weekend. Can't believe I actually broke my most recent one. :(  So, hoping this week's cards' cuts are precise enough...

Hoping to make a Thank You card for this week's CAS-ual Fridays challenge.

Finally, as always, thanks for stopping and happy scrappin'! And, have a great week!

9 comments:

Lorri At Home said...

Your cards are wonderful! The patriotic one is my favorite - red, white and blue all the way! The flower one is gorgeous also : )

Well I have not broke and new years resolutions... yet - i did clean up my craftroom a lil bit - and I have worked on using some of my scrap paper and filled a bag for the recycler... so far so good - just need to get my but in gear and make some cards! - Good job on yours!

BobbisTreasure said...

I LOVE the blue and yellow card - great color combination (U of Michigan girl here!!), and the delicate script in the squares work beautifully together!!

Nancy Keller said...

That BoBunny paper was one of my favorites last year. I love your any hero card!! Thanks for sharing and you have a great week too!!!

Missy said...

Sybria,

Red, white and blue with embossed stars what more could a hero want?
Very nice card.

Thank you for joining in on the ODBD OWH challenge.

Marianne

Donna Hanley said...

Two outstanding cards. Love the Any Hero Card and so will the recipient. Your romantic card it just that- romantic. Nice job with both. Enjoy your week.

Linda said...

Great cards...love the yellow and blue. Super use of the sketch! tfs!!!

Donna Nuce said...

Love the card with the yellow flower. Very pretty! Good luck with the goals. I'm working on mine too!

Marlene Diefendorf said...

Both cards are fantastic Sybrina. As in the first one, I often emboss several layers of cardstock and once. I like the texture. The second is my favorite with is soft feminine look. Love the flower too. Continued success on your goals for 2013, and thanks for playing!

Sherry Hickey said...

Hi Sybrina! Beautiful work on these two cards. Love the little stars, and the text DP/soft colors on the second. Lovely.