Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Favorite Cards of 2012

Happy New Year!

Thought I'd take a few minutes to share my three favorite cards from the past year, along with seven contenders.. Each caption has a sentence or two about the reason for selecting the card, as well as a link to each card's original post.

    

The Contenders...

A Divine Treat
This was one of my first attempts at coloring -- and with acrylics, no less!
It also provided me with the opportunity to "chat" with the cupcake's artist, Elizabeth Dulemba.
posted on 3/12/2012


For a Traditional Dad
This was my first time to use Core Paper.The design took a card I made
for my dad to the next level.
posted on 4/16/2012

Look Who's Turning One!
This card was a favorite for several reasons.
It was my first time to create a Tim Holtz-inspired background and to heat emboss with clear powder.
In addition, it was one of my first times to link to a site other than OWH.
posted on 5/6/2012


ROARing Good Day!
This was one of my first ever kiddie cards.
In addition, it was my first "official" adventure in paper piecing.
(BTW: This was one of hubby's Top 3!)
posted on 2/12/2012


A Patriotic Challenge
Those of you who have visited before know how much I love to make Any Hero cards.
My favorite Any Hero cards, like the one shown, often use Bo Bunny Liberty paper and a little jute.
Moreover, this was a sample card for one of the Sunday Sketch challenges. :)
posted on 9/30/2012


Jean Scene
This was my first shaped card -- and I was able to make 8 of them from some great
garage-sale-find stickers! Moreover, two of the eight were set aside for birthday cards
for my 11- and 12-year old nephews. :)
posted on 7/11/2012

Three Times the Greenery
Those who have visited before also have seen cards inspired by Ashley's fabulous scrapbook
designs. I loved how this card has a CAS-feel even though the design was fairly elaborate. I also loved
how the swirls in the paper were repeated in the stamped image, the trees, and the curvature
of the border punch. Finally, I was thrilled that this card was a sample card for the Christmas is for Kids
Labor Day VCMP challenge. :)
posted on 9/2/2012



And now the Three Favorites...

Love is in the Air
I absolutely adore everything about this card -- from the patterns and gems of the butterflies,
to the blueness of the paper, to the doodled butterfly trails.This was made for a CAS-ual Fridays challenge... and is my best CAS card... so far! (BTW This was another of hubby's Top 3! He likes the "simple ones.")
posted 4/1/2012




A Seussian Christmas
This card was inspired by a CAS-ual Fridays challenge -- taking another card I made for my dad
to the next level. I loved the result so much, I made these in three different palettes for this year's
Craft Fair. (And, for the record, this is hubby's #1 pick-of-the-year!)
posted on 7/24/2012

Frosty's L'il Friend
Just thinking about a little one receiving this adorable snowman-shaped card from mommy or daddy
brought me such joy that I had to choose it as my favorite. Moreover, it combined several of the techniques I had been working on during the year, including heat embossing and combining textures. Finally, it was a sample card for the Christmas is for Kids Labor Day VCMP challenge. :)
posted on 9/2/2012

Parting Thoughts

So, Sandy mentioned setting a crafting goal or two. 
  • For starters, I'm going to continue to make an Any Hero card -- and also a Midweek Throwdown card -- for as many Sunday sketches as possible.  
  • I'm going to do my best to clean up my space immediately after each cardmaking session. :)
  • And, once this big deadline at work has been met, I hope to leave more comments for my fellow OWHers. I know how much comments mean to me.... and I know I've really dropped the ball on that one this past year. :(
It's been almost two years that I first started making cards for Operation Write Home. Little did I know then that I was joining such a talented, caring, and generous community of crafters. Not only do OWHers create fabulous cards for our heroes, they create a genuine sense of community and family for their fellow cardmakers. I am very grateful for the support and friendship of my OWH colleagues. Thank you all so very much for your amazing support of OWH and for your help in making me a better cardmaker. :)

As always, thanks so much for visiting. Here's wishing you many joyful hours of scrappin' in 2013!

You can click here to return to the rest of the OWH Top Ten links. :)

29 comments:

Carol L said...

Oh my goodness, what a fabulous collection of pretty cards! I have to side with your DH on his #1 pick - that tree is so unique and cool looking and the green looks striking on the black background! Your skills have really grown in the past year, and I can't wait to see more growth in the coming year too! Keep up the great work, and have a wonderful new year in 2013! It's been fun getting to know you through blogging and OWH :)

Dixie Cochran said...

Sybrina, you posted a terrific collection of cards today! Thank you! My favorite is the denim pocket card. So clever! Happy New Year!

Jen M said...

Nice cards - I really like your abstract tree and the Frosty. :) Good crafting goals, too! Happy New Year!
Jen

Misty said...

I am glad you & hubby could choose favorites, cause I can't, they are all Great! So many excellent techniques.
Hummer Hugs,
Misty
http://deliteful-gifts.blogspot.com/
hummingbird204 at comcast dot net

Unknown said...

That snowman is completely darling! I'd love a tutorial on that.

Donna Nuce said...

Happy New Year Sybrina! You have a great collection of cards from last year.

Sherry Hickey said...

Hi Sybrina! I love your collection of 2012 favorites! I don't recall the Christmas tree and that's delightful! Glad you ended with your Frosty card; he's so cute with his fuzzy scarf. I enjoyed (and share) your resolutions and share your affection and gratitude for the OWH community!

Ann said...

Fabulous cards, Sybrina! The Frosty one is awesome! I also really love the heart lion! You are so right about the great community/ family OWH is! Happy New Year!

Sandy Allnock said...

Thanks so much for posting your fave cards! I think I like the jeans card and the snowman best - lots of fun! Nice goals too :)

(And Jan fixed the inlinkz, so be sure to add your link to it!)

StampTramps said...

I can't pick a favorite - I have four! Great job this year - I smiled at your resolution to clean up your craft space after every use - let us know how that works out! lol

Seongsook Duncan said...

Sybrina, you made a wonderful collection of cards. I like cards with a lion, butterflies, a tree and a snowman. Thanks for details for each card.

Happy New Year!!!

AmyS said...

I love your cards, and the way you use so many different techniques. Each one is very special.

Anonymous said...

Loved your cards. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for your comments too. I feel the same way... Love OWH! Pat Kinkaid

Lynn said...

These are all terrific! I especially like the blue jean pocket card. Is that a digi sentiment? The cake card is simple and very well done. And there was at least one card that I said, "hey I have that tool!" so I guess I should get it out and use it! Thanks for the inspiration! Happy New Year!

BobbisTreasure said...

Love having a face to go with your blog posts! Please email me - Bobbis Treaure at aol . com

Susan S said...

Cute cards...love that snowman and it's sweet that you think about how much a child will enjoy receiving it.

Yvonne B. said...

I do love Frosty! Best of luck on your goals. I understand how hard it is to balance work with crafting! I'd rather spend more time with my paper!! Thanks for sharing! Happy New Year!

Linda said...

My two fav cards are the turning one and the jeans. Keep up the great work. Your commitment to Any Hero cards really inspiring! tfs!!!

Unknown said...

Sybrina, thanks for sharing all these awesome cards with us! I adore your Frosty (like everyone else lol) but also really dig your huge cupcake (Tim Holtz)... So totally CASEing it :).

I know what you mean about OWH being like a crafty family - being able to bounce ideas off each other has been one of the things that keep me going when I start to lose my mojo. Happy New Year and I hope you have a great 2013! See you on the blogs! :)

Sarah said...

Cute cards! I really like the shirt card :) Super cute idea!

Lee Mae said...

Sybrina, great collection of cards. Love your variety of techniques and style. I hate to choose a favorite, but I do like that butterfly card! Have a great New Year!

Diane said...

The snowman card is just so adorable- but I like each and every card you picked for your top ten! Thanks for sharing some of your goals-- I too would like to clean after every card...I won't -- but I do like to think about it! lol

Beth L. said...

Fantastic cards! I love the snowman and your other shaped cards. Happy New Year!

Marilyn's Cricut Crafts said...

Such a great set of cards! I especially liked the "Love is in the Air" card with the butterflies.

Susan said...

your snowman is cute but I think the greenery card is MY favorite!

Nancy Keller said...

Wonderful! Wonderful! I bet your nephews just loved those pocket cards! So cute!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Ronni Unger said...

Great cards. As I moved through your blog - I kept thinking "Oh, this is my favorite" - but then I got to the next one! I love the pocket - but I love the crazy christmas tree toooooo!

Patricia H said...

Sybrina, I know what you mean about not taking the time to comment on other OWHers' work. I will be the first to admit I'm bad about that, too. And you're absolutely right that each comment can mean so much.

So, even if I haven't commented on your work too often over the last year, I have been noticing how you've grown as a card maker. Keep up the good work! I know your cards are appreciated by our heroes.

Your lion card is totally adorable. I love the snowman, too.

Gayle Wheeler said...

Terrific collection of cards, Sybrina. Very cute jean pocket card and the snowman at the end is adorable. Clean up after every card? What?! ;)