Wednesday, February 8, 2012

OWH Virtual Card-Making Party -- Birthday Card

Last year, for the McGraw-Hill Craft Show, I made a batch of Christmas and birthday cards. The birthday cards were the same basic design -- which I learned from Tiffany at Pizazz It! -- but in different color combinations. (The card on the right was my kids' birthday version.) My Christmas cards sold well -- but my birthday cards sold like hotcakes! 

I decided to do a similar thing this year -- come up with a design I could use to give to family and friends throughout the year, make for OWH, and sell at this year's craft show.

After a little tinkering, I came up with the card below. I gave it to a friend this week -- and she loved it. So, with a bit more tinkering, I think I might have my 2012 birthday card!

Bo Bunny Snowfall paper, icicle Stickles, Fiskars border punch,
EK Success and Recollections snowflake punches, EK Success leaf punch

What most excites me about this card is how I created the cupcake -- no die cuts or punches here! I trimmed the sides of a rectangle, scored the ridges, and went over the ridges with a metallic pen to form the trapezoidal cake base. For the top mound of icing, I cut 3/4 of a circle, border punched its edge, and cut along hand-drawn arcs. Mini pop dots and 3-D glue dots add a little dimension, while Stickles add a little glimmer. Applying Sandy's guidelines for mixing patterns helped tie the whole design together.

I want/need to make a Valentine's Day card for my sweetie of a husband. Then, I'll set my sights on making cards for OWH's half Mother's Day, half general sentiment challenge. A few of these birthday cards are sure to make their way into this next shipment. :)

Happy scrappin'!

4 comments:

Ronni Unger said...

I love your cupcake - the paper is great - and I really like how you explained your process - great job! Thanks for playing along

Nancy Keller said...

You are awesome! I totally rely on my die cuts and punches. You did great without them!

Teresa said...

I'm impressed. I would have needed every die cut available to make a cupcake...I a little challenged that way! I love the color combo you used...

Donna Hanley said...

Simply adorable. Love the soft colors