Friday, May 3, 2013

Connect the Dots

Hi, everyone!

For the next two weeks, CAS-ual Fridays is celebrating its 2nd birthday with a challenge to make a card using a Tic Tac Toe board of its Top Ten Challenges. I ended up choosing polka dots, bling, and black and white to create the card shown below.

Cuttlebug embossing folder; Zig pen
Twinery Baker's Twine; Mark Richards crystals; 3D glue dots
computer-generated sentiment in Harlow Solid Italic
black cardstock: Cardstock Warehouse Paper Co., white paper: ???
Creative Memories cutting system



I was originally stumped for an idea, coming to a dead end with each row, column, diagonal. So, I did  a Google search for quotes about polka dots and found a perfect inspiration. When I came across this quote from the creator of Calvin and Hobbes, I knew I had just the sentiment. The next step was to choose a font that has the feel of a free-spirited, independent woman. Appropriately enough, this font is Harlow Solid Italic. :) 

So, I interpreted the challenge "rules" to limit card features to just one row, column, or diagonal of the board. That may or may not have been correct, but that was my story and I stuck to it. However, I'm really tempted to try another version of this card with red and white twine and and red gems. Something tells me this card's independent woman is not likely to play by the rules, at least not all the time.  :)

Hubby's Quote of the Week

Maybe this should become a recurring feature. (Oh, JoAnn, your comment about "estrogen poisoning" was hysterically funny! I'll have to remember that one.)

Tonight, hubby saw the quote above on the kitchen table. When he joined me outside, he asked about the quote. I explained what I had in mind, and asked if he didn't realize it was about a card. His response was, "Isn't everythng?" -- to which I replied, "Well, it certainly should be!"

Later in the evening, I came down from the menopause room and showed him the finished product. And, he really, really seemed to like it. So, I'm one-for-one to start the weekend!

Parting Thoughts

We have a busy Saturday, but I'm going to try and make the second version of Connect the Dots. If I do, I'll update this post.  So, stay tuned!

As always, thanks for stopping. Happy scrappin' on National Scrapbooking Day! Hoping to also have a chance to check out Operation Write Home's cardmaking event.


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Here I take great information, I am a good reader and blog reading me hobby. Basically I am a wondered for good knowledge here and there this blog very sportive for me every point of view.

Thanks for shearing huge knowledge
burun estetigi

Jocelyn Olson said...

Ha ha! I love the sentiment! That was super clever the way you created the dots and repeated them with the embossing. Happy NSD!

Bobby said...

How clever of you. The sentiment, the card. Perfect!

Pamela said...

Yes you are right in interpreting the rules! The connect the dots idea is so fun! Thanks for joining us at CAS-ual Fridays Challenge!

Alice said...

such a fun card! so cute! thanks for joining us this week at CAS-ual Fridays Challenge!

Paru Mahtani said...

So very clever!! Love it!