Friday, May 31, 2013

A Card 37 Years in the Making

Hi, everyone!

This is a card 37 years in the making. Today marks hubby's last day as an American History teacher. That's right... 37 years of teaching American History! 

Just thinking about all the students he's taught -- not to mention the players he's coached, the teachers he's mentored, the parents he's advised... Oh, my!

I so wanted to do something really special to congratulate him on his accomplishments and commemorate this wonderful moment. But, there's not anything that could come close to the kind of tribute and recognition he deserves. And, then you through in the fact that he's a stoic son-of-a-gun who wants no fuss, no party, no gifts, no anything.

Then, I came up with a final exam/exit exam idea for a card -- a multiple choice test of questions that recount some of the details of his career. So, even though this is not a traditional congratulations card, it's the just the right kind of congratulations card for hubby... although he might get a little attention since I plan on linking this to CAS-ual Fridays' congratulations card challenge. :)

"Exam" Cover

First Page of Exam

A Sample Question

Last Page of Exam: Non-Fussy Gifts for Hubby
(donations to the local animal shelter, food pantry, and a little gift card for him)


Parting Thoughts

Can't wait to give hubby his card and gifts tonight!  I think this will be non-fussy enough for him. And, I think he'll really appreciate the card. Congratulations, hubby, on a fabulous career!

I have to say the layout of the card was a tough nut to crack. I don't even want to confess how many sheets of paper went through our printer before I finally got it right!  :)

Congratulations to all the members of the Class of 2013 -- and kudos to all you loved ones for all the love and support  you gave along the way.

Have a great weekend. As always, thanks for stopping and happy scrappin'!

5 comments:

Donna Hanley said...

I swear we are married to the same man. Our hubby's are just alike, no fuss no parties, etc. My hubby is retiring this Sept 1st after 45 years. I love your gift to him so very much. You came up with the perfect card and gifts. He will be thrilled, I'm sure. I think I may have to CASE your idea for my Hubby, hope you don't mind. Lots of luck to him in his retirement.

Kathryn said...

Thank you to your husband for a lifetime of service to students and their families (and to you because the whole family sacrifices when a teacher spends Sunday writing lesson plans and grading papers). May his retirement be sweet!

Kudos to you on an awesome gift and keepsake card to commemorate this event. I'm sure he'll appreciate your creativity!

Jocelyn Olson said...

Oh my goodness. This is the best post! Congratulations to your husband. What a wonderful career, and what wonderful gifts you're giving to him to honor that. I love the idea of the final exam book. It's so clever! Thanks for joining us at CAS-ual Fridays!

Alice said...

wow! 37 years is pretty amazing! congratulations to your husband and such a fun and thoughtful gift idea! he is going to love it! thanks for joining in us this week at CAS-ual Fridays Challenge!

Pamela said...

This is such a fun idea! Thanks for joining in us this week at CAS-ual Fridays Challenge!