Saturday, April 6, 2013

"Pooh," whispered Piglet... -- UPDATED

Hi, everyone.

This week's CAS-ual Fridays challenge is to make a card that uses chevrons and flowers. Talk about a challenge! My craft room is about as chevron-free as a craft room can possibly be. :(

Then I remembered the gorgeous Mama-razzi Bo Bunny paper pad I just picked up at my favorite LSS, Scrapbook Art.

After I decided on the paper, I thought this might be the perfect time to use a favorite quote from A. A. Milne. I bought a little Hallmark knickknack with this saying years and years ago. Every time I see it, I think of my dear, dear friend Linda. Linda and I met during our first teaching assignments and we've been friends for over 30 years. She was the matron of honor at our wedding. And, no matter how long it's been since we've talked -- or how how far away she's moved, we're always there for each other. Now that I think about it, it's really appropriate that I'm writing this on her birthday. [Hmmm... The only question is which of us is Pooh and which is Piglet. Linda's actually a huge Tigger fan!]

dp: Bo Bunny Mama-razzi, edges washed in watered-down Americana Light Buttermilk acrylic
ivory Prima flowers painted in watered down Americana Light Buttermilk and Fawn acrylics
Mark Richards' and Queen & Co.'s pearls painted in watered-down Light Buttermilk

computer-generated sentiment: Mistral, 16 point, charcoal gray RGB (8, 8, 8)
Creative Memories circle/oval cutting system
PLEASE SEE BELOW FOR UPDATED CARD!

  •  My first step was to print the sentiment on a piece of 6 by 6 paper. One of the changes I would make is to lower the placement of the sentiment just a little so it fits more on the lighter part of the paper. But, I'm still mastering that skill. Better luck next time!
  • The edges of the background paper were painted in watered-down acrylics. Think I've found a great way to get that antique look in any color I want. :)
  • The chevrons were fussy cut from a piece of the Bo Bunny paper.
  • Two flowers were painted in acrylics. The top flower is Fawn with Light Buttermilk accents. The bottom flower is a Light Buttermilk/Fawn mix, while its edges are dabbed in Fawn.
  • The flower's center pearl, and the 3 tiny pearls in the top left, are painted in Light Buttermilk. 
  •  Elements were placed touching one another, keeping in mind the rule of thirds, to create a strong focal point.
  • Finally the oval was placed so that the pattern aligned with the pattern of the background pattern.
What most excites me about this card is how the painted flower and pearls turned out. I have a huge collection of acrylics from my tole painting class days. It's fabulous to know I can make these embellishments any color that I want them to be!

Happy birthday, Linda!  Looks like I have next year's card already done. :)

Updated Card

Since first posting this card, I added a few more embellishments: three tiny pearls at the bottom of the sentiment oval and two leaves to the left side of the flower. 
  • The added pearls were also painted with Light Buttermilk. 
  • The leaves were hand cut from Distress Ink core paper. Veins were hand drawn using a Zig pure brown pen, and they were painted with watered-down Americana Red Violet and Americana Celery Green acrylics.

I'm really liking the look of the leaves. And, the three pearls in the oval nicely ground the sentiment. But, I think they're responsible for the shadow in the scanned image.

Parting Thoughts

Headed over to Operation Write Home and check out their Spring Training Tutorial Day for making masculine cards.

As always, thanks for stopping. Happy weekend and happy scrappin'!

4 comments:

Jocelyn Olson said...

What a sweet story about your friend--I have a friend like that, too. :) The quote is great and I know it's tough to get the placement right when printing. It looks great! I love the pearl details you added and the pretty papers. Thanks for joining us at CAS-ual Fridays!

Alice said...

such a wonderful story behind this! very pretty card! thanks so much for joining us this week at CAS-ual Fridays Challenge!

Pamela said...

Beautiful antique-inspired card! Thanks so much for joining us at CAS-ual Friday Challenge!

carol (krillsister) said...

Beautiful card. That paper is gorgeous.