Monday, July 22, 2013

On a Scale of 1 to 10

Hi, everyone!

Hope the first day of the work week went well. Boy, it was a good day to be inside here. We got over 2 inches of rain. Wow, is it wet!

Today's Card

The current CAS-ual Fridays challenge is to make a card involving at least one number. Should be a perfect challenge for a math educator... right? So, why did I struggle so much with this one?

hand-drawn table, sponged in Distress Inks using Stampin' Up! daubers
Distress Ink core paper
computer-created stars, adhered with Zots 3D glue dots
Paper Smooches stamped numbers
non-identified stash number stickers

INSIDE SENTIMENT: On a scale of 1 to 10, You're a 100!

I'm always hearing people say something like, "On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it [...] an 11!"  So, the math teacher in me decided to do a take on this... 

MATH ALERT WARNING: Math stuff ahead!!!!  Since 10 raised to the 0 power is one and 10 raised to the 1st power is 10 and 10 raised to the 2nd power is 100, I decided to go with the numbers 1, 10, and 100. I know, sometimes the math-i-ness just comes out in spite of myself. :)

I sponged the lower numbers in red, the middle numbers in yellow, and the upper numbers in green -- going for an ombre effect at each level. After that, the card took on a life of itself. The sponged ink had more of a primary feel/look than I had envisioned. So, I went full-speed ahead with the primary feel, going with primary-looking numbers and primary-like stars.

Most of my cards go to Operation Write Home. So, I'm thinking a little boy or girl might really like receiving an encouraging card from mommy or daddy as a new school year begins.

Parting Thoughts

Have a good rest of the week.

Thanks for visiting and happy scrappin'!

3 comments:

Deb said...

Love the colors you used! As a nurse, we ask people to rate their pain on a scale of 0-10. Yes, sometimes they tell us it's 11. So your commentary makes me chuckle. Thanks for the tip on my card. I am definitely going to keep that in mind. It will help to make a bunch of cards quickly. Thanks for playing along with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

Sanketi said...

Beautiful card and the math part was interesting! Thanks so much for joining us at CAS-ual Fridays this week!

Angie Tieman said...

Oh my gosh, this is SOOOOO creative! The teacher in me LOVES it!! Thanks so much for playing along with us at CAS-ual Fridays!