Monday, May 14, 2012

Monday Musings

Hi, everyone,

Hope it was a good weekend. Hope all of our OWH Moms enjoyed a special day.

The weather here was so pretty Friday and Saturday -- too pretty to resist being outside. So, I have only one card to share.

OWH Sketch #121 and ODBD May Challenge

The card below is being posted for this week's sketch challenge  and for this month's ODBD challenge, which is to create a card with five elements.

This card's elements are:
  • patterned paper,
  • layering paper and jute,
  • scoring and inking,
  • a stamped sentiment, and
  •  embellishments (gems).
Bo Bunny Liberty -- shocking, I know; Bazzill admiral and watermelon; jute and gems
I adjusted the dimensions to create a horizontal Any Hero card that worked for my pre-written note. And, I moved the sentiment to the left to compliment, rather than compete with, the eagle and the field of stars. After that, this card came together pretty easily.  I actually loved being able to use the eagle/sunburst stripes/blue field of stars part of the paper pack. This seemed like one of the few papers from the collection I would have trouble using. But, this sketch really lent itself to the sunburst pattern on the top and the striped pattern on the bottom.

And, Margaret, your Bo Bunny paper is in the mail. It should be arriving on Thursday or Friday. Can't wait to see your Bo Bunny patriotic cards! :)

Tuesday Morning

It probably seems from my previous Tuesday Morning and garage sale posts that I go out shopping all of the time. That's actually not the case -- though hubby would probably disagree. :)   It's even more seldom that I shop on Saturdays as most stops are quick errands at the end of workday. 

That said, I did stop by Tuesday Morning on Saturday after meeting a good friend for lunch. I've been wanting to upgrade to a better cutting board and luck was with me. There was a single 12 by 12 Fiskars board just begging to be taken to the Menopause Room. How could I possibly turn it down?

Today's posted card is the first to be made with the new board. :)

And what was the little creature saying/doing?

You might remember the little creature I posted on Friday. Well, the story is that I was making a card for the VCMP owl challenge. I found this little guy on a great set of chipboard animal stickers (lions, elephants, crocodiles, fish...). And, I decided to place him inside a hole created from some BasicGrey wood-grained paper. I was pretty happy with the way the card was taking shape.


Then I showed it to hubby. First of all, he thought the creature was a penguin. And, after he said that, all I could see when I looked at the little guy was a penguin. Moreover, hubby didn't think the paper looked anything like wood or trees. And, if the paper did resemble wood or trees, why was there a penguin on the card?

Maybe it's one of those you had-to-be-there moments. But, it really was too funny!

So, I'm still debating what to do about this card. I can't possibly finish it as an owl in a tree now. But, where do I go from here? 

Parting Thoughts

We received an invitation to a combined retirement (for the mom) and graduation (for the daughter) party. And, I have a great aunt will be celebrating her 95th birthday. So, those 3 cards are on my week's to-do list.

Have a great week!  Thanks for stoppping by and happy scrappin' to all!

5 comments:

Paper Therapy Ponderings said...

it does kinda look like a penguin but they may be because you planted that thought in my head - I love your take on the sketch - sometimes you have to adjust a sketch so you can let the paper shine through.

Barb Housner

Maureen V said...

Love your take on the sketch! Those jute mats look amazing! Thanks for playing along on the OWH sketch!

Julie said...

Great cards, Sybrina! I love that BoBunny patriotic paper and I enjoy seeing what you do with it each week! Thanks for joining us in this week's OWH Stars & Stamps Sketch Challenge!

Linda said...

Add a sentiment like..."I am lost without you" or something like that. I have those and this card is shaping up nicely. TFS!!!

Unknown said...

Great job on the ODBD and OWH sketch card love the dp you used.