Sunday, May 6, 2012

Monday Musings: An OWH VCMP Early Edition

Hi, everyone,

Hope you all have had as much fun as I have making cards for this weekend's OWH VCMP party. Thanks to OWH for organizing the hop and to the hosts for such wonderful challenges.

As I look at my set of cards, I'm seeing a definite theme -- now that I've gotten serious again about counting Weight Watcher points in anticipation of pool season. Freudian images of sweets -- cupcakes, ice cream, cake -- abound!  :)

One other Common Element

While working on these cards, I tried a new technique. And, I liked it so well that I used  it on 4 of the 5 cards.

I pressed cut-out images (the top and bottom of the cupcake; the ice cream scoops and cones; the flame, candle, ribbon, and bottom trim; the flip flop print) in a Versamark pad. Then I heat embossed using clear embossing powder. 

The result was a shiny, slick image that really draws attention to the embossed images. Patterns really come through nicely. And, if you repeat the process, the embossed images are even shinier -- kind of like applying a second layer of varnish. 

Card 1: Paper Piecing a Child's Card

Initially, I thought this card could work for either a child or an adult. To make it more child-like, I added Stickles to the stars and flowers on the background paper and added gems to the corner.

DCWV Sweet mat stack; Stickles, gems

Card 2: Using Something Hoarded
 
Okay, the paper and embellishment on this card were supplies used in one of my first card classes at Pizazz It!. I loved this S.E.I. line so much that I've been holding on to the leftover paper and die cuts to use on an extra special wedding card -- maybe for my nephews' weddings. :)

But, my nephews are 12 and 10. :( 

So, here goes...

S.E.I. Moonrise paper and die cuts

Seriously, this was a great idea, Carol!  Thanks for the inspiration. I think it made for a very nice card.

Card 3: Making Food a Focal Point

I have to say I am quite pleased with the way this little card turned out. Heat embossing with clear powder really popped the patterns on the ice cream scoops and cones!

DCWV Sweet mat stack; Inkadinkado Birthday Cupcake sentiment
OWHers, no need to worry if the looped background paper looks glittery. This is one of those DCWV paper packs in which the glitter seems to be baked in really well.

Card 4: Using Bright Colors

As much as I like the previous card, I LOVE this card. It is one of my all-time favorites. The inspiration for it came from one of Tiffany's card-making classes at Pizazz It! A few new techniques and added elements have kicked a great card up a notch or two. :)

All paper came from a Stampin' Up! garage sale find!
I'd like to take a few minutes to describe my thought process when creating this card.
  • I rounded the top corners of the card base, but kept the bottom corners at right angles, to mirror the shape of the cake.
  • I selected the floral print and then selected the coordinating blue, red, and gold papers.
  • Next, I decided the background needed a color to pop the floral pattern. I chose to heat emboss Distress Ink scattered straw, using clear embossing powder. (And, if you've never tried this technique, the result is sooooo gorgeous. It just glistens in the sunlight!)
  • I decided to use red for the flame and cake base, and blue for the candle, ribbon, and bottom trim to help the eye go from the top of the cake to its bottom. I chose gold for the center flower to connect it with the background color.
  • I used Versamark and clear powder to heat emboss the papers for the flame, candle, ribbon, center flower, and bottom trim. Again, this adds a great shine and brings out the patterns in these papers so nicely.
  • I scored the cake base, crimped the bottom trim, and formed the ribbon and snipped its ends for a few textural elements.
  • When piecing together the cake, I made the candle 2-layered so that the flame would fit nicely in-between. Pop dots raise the cake top and candle/flame.
  •  I set the candle a little to the left so the cake was just a little asymmetrical. (I initially tried tilting the cake's layers a little, but didn't like the result.)
  • After adding the pearl to the center of the flower, I added pearls in a vertical line to the top right of the card. These pearls also helped pull the eye down the card. And, they added a little interest to the top right portion of the card without detracting from the cake or from the beautiful Distress Ink background.
It's amazing how CAS cards look so simple, yet can be so intricate in their designs. Speaking of CAS, CAS-ual Fridays is celebrating its first anniversary. So, I think I'll post this little cake there, as well.

I just love going to CAS-ual Fridays for inspiration. I've not been following CAS-ual Fridays long, so maybe it's a mis-perception on my part. But, it seems that the DT's sample cards often have varied backgrounds, but the winning cards seem to have mainly white backgrounds. Regardless, I'm posting this little card, entitled Look Who's Turning One, at CAS-ual Fridays and crossing my fingers. :)

Card 5: Using a Die Cut

I'm almost embarrassed to post this card after the last one. Let's just say it's still a work in progress. It needs a little more oomph before it makes it into my OWH box -- think I'll tinker with the flip flops for starters. However, I do really like the heat embossed flip-flop-"sandprint".

DCWV Stack 6, Bazzill Preppie cardstock red
Parting Thoughts

Thanks again to everyone involved for a great blog hop. Looks like I have an owl-themed challenge to take on this week. And, I want to post a card for this month's ODBD challenge. 

Have a great week!  Happy scrappin'!

11 comments:

Sherry Hickey said...

Hi Sybrina! Thanks for playing in my paper piecing challenge! I love your sweet cupcake card; any child (or cupcake lovers of any age) will love receiving it! Thanks for sharing all your great techniques with us; your birthday cake might make a great tutorial! I love those little flip-flops..great job on all!!

Sarah said...

Wow...such great cards-- I am in love with the flip flops-- do tell me what die that is please :) I think perhaps even just a brad or a gem popped on the flippies and that card would be perfect-- it's great now though!

Kathryn said...

Your cards are great, Sybrina. I especially like your creative touches like the footprint left by the flip-flop. The story you told about hoarding paper for weddings a decade away is priceless and is probably ringing true for a lot of us! Thanks for hosting a challenge today. :)

Donna Nuce said...

All your cards are fantastic. Loved the ice cream cones -- very clean and simple.

Lee Mae said...

Sybrina, your cards are so fun and cute! I like every one. Your last card looks like quite a few I have struggled over. I know you will get it just right.

Carol L said...

Oh my gosh, these cards are all adorable!! Each one meets the challenge so perfectly! Great job on them all!!

Sybrina K said...

Sarah,

Great suggestion about the gem. Definitely something I'll try. Thanks!

Sybrina K said...

Hi, Sherry,

Loved your challenge. I actually ended up paper piecing three cards. Coloring is not my thing. Paper piecing, however... :)

And, thanks so much for your kind words and support.

I'd certainly be interested in the tutorial idea. Do you handle those? If yes, let's talk. :)

Sybrina K said...

Sarah,

I forgot to tell you bout the flip flop dies.

I bought an AccuCut Zip'e Mate at a garage sale last year when a local scrapbook store was going out of business. It came with a whole folder of dies, including complete alphabet sets and a set of cute little beach dies. (The beach dies are those small square ones that hinge together. Do you know what I mean?) So, I have no idea if they are still available.

Do you have a Sizzix or Cricut? Maybe something would turn up in an internet search... Good luck!

Anonymous said...

You were really on a roll! I'm really intrigued by your technique and you created some amazing cards! Thanks for playing along in the Rebel challenges! --Yvonne

Stephanie Washburn said...

Love ALL these cards, Sybrina! They're all SO cute and sweet! Thanks for playing along at CAS-ual Fridays! ;)