Wednesday, August 29, 2012

OWH Midweek Throwdown

Hi everyone,

Hope the week is going well.

I have two cards to share. [Well, maybe 1.5 cards would be more accurate. :( ]

A Masculine Card: All Buttoned Up

The first card is for this week's OWH Midweek Throwdown. This week's challenge is to make a masculine card.

Kaiser Up, Up and Away; ek border punch, Martha Stewart button punch; ribbon, DMC floss
I've been making quite a few pocket cards based on a sketch from that wonderful Leisure Arts book. I added dimension to the buttons using several different inks. Wish I remembered which ones I grabbed when finishing this card. :)

An Unfinished Card: Not Ready for Prime Time

This little card was inspired by a cute patriotic door plaque I found at a flea market.

Core paper; hand-drawn stitching
 My two concerns:
  • It feels like it still needs something -- I just don't know what. Maybe some Baker's twine?
  • The top third is taped down, with the fold in the middle tan section. The problem with this is that there is not nearly as much space to write as I thought there would be.
Is it worth sending to OWH? If yes, any suggestions, ideas for making it better?

Parting Thoughts

Loved yesterday's OWH tutorial on 6 by 6 pads!  If you haven't yet seen it, it's definitely worth checking out.

Really excited about this weekend's VCMP!

Until then, happy scrappin'!

4 comments:

BobbisTreasure said...

Love the button accents on the first card. Gives nice dimension and texture. As fro your star? I think it is fine as is. If you want more writing room, maybe add some inner pages, like a book?

Donna Hanley said...

Sybrina, Two wonderful cards. I I've seen that same type "star" on doors around here also. I think the card looks fine the way it is but if you feel like it needs more, maybe you could try dry embossing the card base. It is definitely worth sending to OWH just as is. It's a great card,be proud of it.

Jen M said...

I like your masculine card! The bottom one, I think would be greatly helped by a solid color mat just larger than the white. Red, blue, or kraft would all work!

Marilyn's Cricut Crafts said...

I have the Martha Stewart button punch and have never used. So happy to see a great example. I'm not sure what else to add to the star card, I'm sure it'll come to you.