Sunday, November 4, 2012

2 for 1

Hi everyone,

A quick post to share two cards inspired by this week's OWH sketch.

                   

Card #1: A Birthday Card

This first card is pretty true to the sketch, following a 90 degree rotation.

Paper: My Mind's Eye, stash cardstock
Sentiment from Whipper Snapper, heat embossed in Distress Ink Vintage Photo
Techniques: Leisure Arts candle idea described in last post
Tool: hole punch
I initially used a AAA battery to roll the candles -- and found the technique worked well with designer paper, but not heavier cardstock. However, the candles seemed too thick for OWH. So, I went with the "smashed" versions instead.

Card 2: An Any Hero card

I was a little more liberal in my interpretation of the sketch for this one.

Paper: We R Memory Keepers, BasicGrey kraft, miscellaneous cardstock
Tools: ek success and the Paper Studio star punches; crimper, distresser, hole punch
Embellishment: strands of jute
The background paper is one that I really struggle with in this Red, White & Blue collection because it is such a strong image. After layering the red and white-starred paper, it felt okay pairing these two patterns together. And, I think it helps that the stars were punched from the same cardstock as the cream layer behind the red and white-starred paper.

Parting Thoughts

Hubby wasn't a huge fan of either card. They were both too busy for his taste. They are actually a little on the busy side for me, too -- just a little out of my normal comfort zone. But, I think they work. 

Have a great week. Thanks for visiting and happy scrappin'!

12 comments:

BobbisTreasure said...

Both cards are great. Creativity is all about moving outside our comfort zones - isn't it!!

www.hokiecoyote.com said...

Great job on both cards. I love how you made them your own.

Donna Hanley said...

The more you go out of your comfort zone, the better crafter you become. That's what I was told once anyway. I think both of these cards are just delightful.

Jen M said...

I like both, but I really love your anyhero card. :) Those stars rock!

Holly Iossa (Homeschool Homestead) said...

Both are very cheerful. I like the colors of the second one. I like the stars and twine.

JoAnn Ross said...

I suspect anyone who receives them will love them! The first is very bright and cheery and I've never thought of rounding candles. Though I think you're right to flatten them in this case, that's a cool idea.

I ALWAYS have trouble with red, white, and blue paper packs, but the way you put the rectangle in the center of that flare really made it work.

Carol L said...

They both look like great cards, and I love the star placement. What doesn't please you will surely please someone else, so don't be too critical of your work :)

Julie said...

I think they're both cute, Sybrina! I think that second one is a great use of that big pattern paper. Those are always a struggle for us cardmakers! Thanks for joining us in this week's Operation Write Home Sketch Challenge!

Linda said...

Sybrina, I think I am going to CASE your birthday candles. I would love the see your card made using the orginal sketch. I love your papers on both! tfs!!!

Marlene Diefendorf said...

Fantastic cards Sybrina. I'm not a big fan of 'busy' either but I think you pulled it off beautifully. I especially like the second card with the twine and star accents. Nice job!

Lee Mae said...

Hi Sybrina! I think your cards are great. The "smashed" candles look nice and dimensional and I think it is a technique I'll have to have a go with sometime. I really like your Any Hero card. The background panel has that nice star burst effect and I love the stars.

BobbisTreasure said...

I quite like the Any Hero card!!