My sincerest thanks to OWH and Julie for choosing to showcase one of my designs and a few sample cards. I have to say the pressure was really on -- and I hope this week's sketch inspires a lot of wonderful creations!
Operation Write Home has provided me with a way to pay forward for all of the blessings bestowed upon my family and me over the years.
- As with many OWHers, the military has played a significant role in my family's life. As some of you know, my father-in-law was a B-17 pilot, flying several missions over Germany during World War II. He is the most amazing man -- one of America's Greatest Generation.
- And, my Uncle Charlie and Uncle Ken served in the Navy and Army, respectively -- with my Uncle Ken serving in Vietnam. (Needless to say, the Army-Navy football game is a major event in those two households!)
- Finally, as a former high school teacher, I taught a number of young people who enlisted in a branch of the military following graduation. It's humbling to think that one of their loved ones could be receiving one of my cards. Paying forward, indeed!
A few quick words about the sample cards.
- The Gratitude card is from my favorite paper -- the Bo Bunny Snowfall collection -- and was featured in a previous post.
- The paper for the Asian-inspired card is KaiserCraft's Lush Collection. When Julie contacted me this week about using my sketch, I knew we needed a springier sample and this card was born.
- Of course, the patriotic card is my Any Hero interpretation for the week. (I'm happy to say that I have 5 Any Hero cards going out in my shipment this week!) I've had the star paper forever -- and think it's from Creative Memories. The Kraft paper is by BasicGrey. And, it might be worth mentioning that the kraft star is 3 layers -- with the bottom layer adhered directly to the card and the top and middle layers adhered using a pop dot.
Thanks for stopping by Scrapping with Purpose! :) And, kudos to Operation Write Home for being such an awesome group that does amazing things one card at a time!