Sunday, January 29, 2012

Paying Forward with OWH

As this week's featured card maker Lisa so eloquently says on  The Purple Place, it is indeed an honor to be a part of Operation Write Home and it is a work of heart to make cards for our heroes and their loved ones. It is wonderful to be a part of the OWH family.

My sincerest thanks to OWH and Julie for choosing to showcase one of my designs and a few sample cards. I have to say the pressure was really on -- and I hope this week's sketch inspires a lot of wonderful creations!


Operation Write Home has provided me with a way to pay forward for all of the blessings bestowed upon my family and me over the years.
  • As with many OWHers, the military has played a significant role in my family's life. As some of you know, my father-in-law was a B-17 pilot, flying several missions over Germany during World War II. He is the most amazing man -- one of America's Greatest Generation.
  • And, my Uncle Charlie and Uncle Ken served in the Navy and Army, respectively -- with my Uncle Ken serving in Vietnam. (Needless to say, the Army-Navy football game is a major event in those two households!) 
  • Finally, as a former high school teacher, I taught a number of young people who enlisted in a branch of the military following graduation. It's humbling to think that one of their loved ones could be receiving one of my cards. Paying forward, indeed!

A few quick words about the sample cards.
  • The Gratitude card is from my favorite paper -- the Bo Bunny Snowfall collection -- and was featured in a previous post.
  • The paper for the Asian-inspired card is KaiserCraft's Lush Collection. When Julie contacted me this week about using my sketch, I knew we needed a springier sample and this card was born.
  • Of course, the patriotic card is my Any Hero interpretation for the week. (I'm happy to say that I have 5 Any Hero cards going out in my shipment this week!) I've had the star paper forever -- and think it's from Creative Memories. The Kraft paper is by BasicGrey. And, it might be worth mentioning that the kraft star is 3 layers -- with the bottom layer adhered directly to the card and the top and middle layers adhered using a pop dot.

Thanks for stopping by Scrapping with Purpose! :)   And, kudos to Operation Write Home for being such an awesome group that does amazing things one card at a time! 

Happy scrappin'!

4 comments:

Donna Hanley said...

Sybrina, Your sample cards this week are all terrific. Thank you for inspiring us and for your efforts for OWH.

ThePurplePlace said...

Awww Sybrina,
Thank you so much for your kind words! I stopped by to tell you how much I admired your cards and was really surprised to see my name! You are very sweet and your nice comment means a lot to me.

Being part of OWH, is so wonderful in many ways, but one I forget to note is how many kind and caring people it brings into my life!!

Hugs,
Lisa

PS: Great job on the sketch cards for this week! I really enjoyed the sketch and LOVED your inspiration!!

Linda said...

I wanted to repsond to you kind comment about my card. I have not a single copic to my name. I use a variety of markers and colored pencils.

Carol L said...

Your sample cards are all so well made, and I enjoyed hearing about your family members who've been involved with the military throughout the years! I feel honored to be a contributor to OWH as well!!