Monday, June 11, 2012

Monday Musings

Hi, everyone,

Hope you all had a great weekend. For us, it was a nice blend of getting things done around the house, relaxing at the neighborhood pool, and making (or commenting on, in hubby's case) cards.

In Honor of Dee: Delicate Wings of Hope and Tranquility

Dee was an OWH Board Member who has been involved with OWH since the beginning. (She's made over 12,000 beautiful cards for OWH!) Sadly, Dee just resigned her board position due to her battle with cancer. 

Sandy originally asked us to make two cards -- one for Dee and one in honor of Dee. Sadly, Dee has taken a turn for the worse and has been hospitalized. So, we have been asked to leave comments here rather than sending cards.

The two cards below are the cards I was planning to send to and for Dee. Instead, I will be sending them in my next OWH shipment. 

webster's pages In Love collection; Martha Stewart butterfly and EK Success border punches; gray cardstock; pearl embellishments



webster's pages In Love collection; S.E.I. Moonrise embellishments; Hero Arts Hero Hues; border punch


I used a trifold for both cards -- with the intention of writing a note to Dee. What I love about the trifold is that it provides more room for heroes to write their notes home. The drawback is that I can only get one card per sheet.



OWH Sketch #125

This week's sketch inspired the Any Hero card below.

                                  

We R Memory Keepers Red, White, & Blue
While I really like the patterns in this pad of paper, I still feel as though the cards I've made using the paper are far busier than my typical style. Adding the sentiment and big star at the top really helped a lot. So, I'm okay with the final look, but still trying to wrap my brain around my un-CAS-like creations. :)

For Dad, with Love

Since making holiday cards for OWH, I' find myself thinking the holiday is already passed -- like when I see Valentine's Day things in the store and think but we've already had Valentine' Day. [Does that happen to anyone else? :)]

Such was the case with Father's Day. I was upstairs making cards this weekend and realized I still needed to make a card for my dad. (No, I haven't forgotten about my father-in-law. Hubby had already taken care of a card and gift for his dad.) So, the card below is for my dad -- and more in my typical CAS-style. Our dads prefer simple to fussy. :)

Kaiser Konstrukt collection;Gillian Vance sentiment;  handmade screw/bolt  heads and nuts

I tried to create some screw/bolt heads and nuts. The ridges for the screw heads were created by scoring punched-out circles and pressing the folded edges into a Versmark pad. Each nut was created by punching out circles, drawing segments to divide the circles into sixths, drawing segments along the edge of each sixth section, cutting along the edge segments, and punching a small circle in the center.

Glad I remembered -- and hope Dad likes his card. :)  Looking forward to having both dads out next Sunday.

Parting Thoughts

Immediate plans for the week are to get my current stash of OWH cards ready to send.  I want to get those in the mail in the next week or so.


On a different note, I need to take a hiatus from Friday Night Writes and Monday Musings for a couple of weeks or so. There's nothing wrong. But, work is going to be crazy busy -- probably so until mid August. 

I'm going to make cards whenever I have a chance. And, I hope to make an occasional post. But, unfortunately, publishing regular posts and making/posting cards for specific challenges won't be happening.  :(


As always, thanks for stopping by. Your visits and comments are truly appreciated. 

Happy scrappin' to all!

4 comments:

Linda said...

Sybrina...I can totally relate to the holiday time warp thing...I keep thinking the 4th of July has already happened nevermind Father's Day! Great sketch card! I like all the visual pops! TFS!!!

Missy said...

Sybrina,
Your Thanks! card fits the sketch very well. It is very patriotic and would make a great Hero card.

EmeralDQueen said...

Very very nice love the stars :D

Paula S. said...

Great job with the sketch challenge! I just love patriotic designs. Look forward to seeing much more come September when your rush is over :)

Paula S.
OWH Blog Team