Friday, June 8, 2012

Friday Night Writes

Hi, everyone,

Again, my appreciation to all who have visited this week, with special thanks to those who left comments. Red, White, and Boom seemed to be a crowd pleaser.

I apologize to my OWH friends for not leaving comments for their wonderful creations these past weeks. I know how much everyone enjoys receiving feedback. But, I haven't done any of that since the blog hop. 

Janet's Birthday Celebration...

... went really well. It started with a potluck breakfast of egg, sausage, and cheese casserole; muffins; fruit; orange juice; and a coffee/hot chocolate/tea bar. Then, she received a small gift (balloons, candy, plants, candle, homemade cards) from other members of our team. Finally, the math department had an afternoon birthday cake break, complete with a rendition of "Happy Birthday"!  

Of course, Janet is so gracious that she wouldn't say otherwise. But, I think she really did like her handmade cards. One of the girls on our team said Janet told her she wanted to frame the heritage Bo Bunny card. :)

  Two Sympathy Cards: Comfort, Understanding, and Peace

On a very sad note, the mother of two girls (sisters) at work passed unexpectedly last weekend. Both Kim and Abby are so sweet. Friends of Scrapbook Art who participated in last May's Global Volunteer Day event for OWH may have met Abby as she made cards with us that day.

So, I made a trip to Scrapbook Art to buy some special paper and ribbon to make cards for Abby and Kim. These cards are so hard to make -- aren't they? I ended up using paper from webster's ages In Love collection. It seemed soft and pretty without being too flowery. The sentiment is by Gillian Vance. I love this set of stamps -- and the sentiment used is one of my favorites from this set.



All in all, I was fairly pleased with the results. On the second card, it was my first time using my garage sale ribbon threader punch. I wish I would've done a better job lining it up. But, I thought the ribbon against the paper turned out nicely. All in all, I was trying to convey serenity and beauty without going over the top. I hope I managed to do that. 

Parting Thoughts

There's a tie for first place on this weekend's crafting to do list:
  • Per Sandy's Midweek Throwdown request, I want to make cards for and in honor of retiring OWH board member Dee.
  • And, I need to honor a promise I made to hubby to get some pictures in some bargain-buy frames for a naked hallway in need of decorating. :)
(And then there's that darn dusting and vacuuming.  If only...)

I'm also tinkering with a couple of cards for a few of Ashley's sketches. I've made a little progress on those, but not as much as I would've liked. Unfortunately, this weekend's not looking much better for that.

Anyhow, have a great weekend!  Thanks for stopping by. Happy scrappin'!

No comments: