Friday, March 9, 2012

Friday Night Writes

Hi, Everyone,

Thought I'd publish a quick post before the Buckeyes hit the court in the Big Ten Tournament.  Hope everyone had a great week.  Thanks to everyone who left such kind comments on my blog.

Half and Half OWH Challenge



I mailed my box of half Mother's Day and half general sentiment card challenge to Kris yesterday afternoon -- wanting them to get there in plenty of time for the March 15 deadline.  Almost all of the 40 cards have appeared in previous posts.

A few more of Elizabeth Dulemba's delightful cupcakes made it into the box -- and there will be a few other cupcakes in my next shipment. :)


Kudos to Kathryn

I was feeling pretty good about getting this second shipment of the year in the mail. Last year, not counting the GVD cardmaking party cards, I sent 96 cards to OWH. This year, the count is up to 80 -- plus 10 Any Hero cards!  I know our focus is not supposed to be quantity. But, it's great to be able to send as many cards as possible.

And, then I read Kathryn's post -- sending hundreds of blank cards and hundreds of Any Hero notes. Wow!!!  Well done, Kathryn!

I'm still feeling good -- but not quite as good as Kathryn must be feeling. :)

A New Twist on an Old Favorite

Okay, so I was doing a little mindless channel surfing and came upon a shopping network craft supplies show. While I was resisting the temptation to order those blasted gel pens and telling myself that my Zip'E Mate is just fine for my purposes, I stuck around and watched the Cuttlebug sales pitch. And, then came the "Why didn't I think of that?" moment!

The spokesperson suggested inking an embossing folder before running paper through the machine. So, that's exactly what I did to create the Any Hero card below.

Bazzill cardstock: Watermelon and Admiral
(which are perfect complements for Bo Bunny's Liberty line)
Folder: Cuttlebug; Ink: Stampin' Up Night of Navy
OWH digi, red Stickles for a touch of glimmer
I thought clean-up could be a real mess. But, since the ink is water-based, the folder rinsed clean in a flash.

Hubby seemed to really like this one. I'm going to try to use a similar effect for this month's ODBD challenge.

Speaking of challenges, think I'm going to venture out a little and post this card for this week's challenge at CAS-ual Fridays. Posting to a site other than OWH's Stars and Stripes is a first for me. Must say it's kind of scary...

And, speaking of digis...

The digi in the card above is one of my absolute favorite sentiments to use. Does anyone have a good source for other digital sentiments? Of course, free digis are the best digis of all!

Parting Thoughts

Hoping to get a start on Box #3 this weekend with an ODBD card and a couple more cupcake birthday cards.

Happy scrappin'!  

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

Sybrina,

I loved your example of the hero card with an inked embossing folder. That's something I should try soon. :)

Thanks for the sweet shout out! I only wrote 3 hero cards- the other 197 are from students at my school. Writing the notes was part of their service learning credit.

Michele Gross said...

I'm so glad you came to play with us! Your card is fabulous and I know it will be greatly appreciated by the receiver :) We've got new challenges for your cardmaking inspiration every Friday so I hope we'll see you again at CAS-ual Fridays!

Virginia L. said...

Absolutely FAB!! You used the perfect colors for this design! Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

Elizabeth O Dulemba said...

Sybrina - I love all the cupcake cards you've shared at my gallery! I'm going to feature this one in the April 10, 2012 newsletter. Keep creating! Cheers, e