Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Cards for Family and Friends

The last couple of days, my scrapping purpose has been to make cards for family and friends -- celebrating a new job, congratulating a promotion, sending birthday greetings.

The card below was made for the daughter of a friend who just landed her first full-time teaching job! To go along with the school theme, I went with primary colors. To establish a strong focal point, I remembered the rule of 3s -- technically, the rule of odd-numbered items -- and positioned design elements near the stamped sentiment -- also in 3s. Paper edges were distressed and inked. Finally, the frugal side of me made the most of garage-sale paper and free Highlights for Children stickers.



The second card I will feature today is a birthday card for my nephew who is turning 10 next month. So, what kind of card do you make for a 10-year-old boy? The answer came in another garage-sale find. This 10 cent sticker was perfect -- yep, 10 cents! The sticker is actually 3 stickers in one. To add interest and dimension, I used pop up dots to raise the middle portion. This 3-D effect, combined with its edgy sentiment and boy-friendly color scheme, made for an amazingly simple and perfectly suited card for Josh. (And, naturally, the handwritten note inside says, "Hope you have a Gr 8 day!")

No comments: