Sunday, July 1, 2012

Did Someone Say Fireworks?

Hi, everyone,

A quick post to share a card for Ashley's July sketch. For my card, I focused on the middle part of Ashley's sketch.

       
July SOTM.jpg


We R Memory Keepers Red, White & Blue; Stickles; heat embossing with Versamark and clear powder
  • I layered 3 pieces of paper for the background paper.
  • In place of the 4 x 3 photos, I stamped using VersaMark, heat embossed using clear embossing powder, and cut out two firecrackers. (The stamp is from a Making Memories set purchased at a garage sale!) 
  • The lighter sections of the fireworks were a happy accident.I was tracing around the sections with a white gel pen when I smeared a little of the ink. So, I wondered what would happen if I purposely smeared the ink. When I liked the end result, I repeated the process with the second firecracker. A happy accident, indeed! I really like the subtle striping that the smearing created.
  • For the 4 x 6 photo, I cut out text and an image from papers in the pad. I also cut out part of a pennant from one of the other papers for the circle and plume above the second 4 x 3 photo.
  • I cut a border, fussy cutting along the arced edge, for the borders separating the middle and bottom parts of the sketch.
  • For two finishing touches, I adhered elements (the left firecracker, the round image on the far right, the bottom border) with pop up glue dots and added crystal Stickles (the firecracker bursts, the stars in the pennant, the stars and firecrackers in the circular element, the stars in the center strip of the border) for a little shimmer.
Hubby commented that this is a little busier than my typical card and I have to agree. But, the card's elements seem to have a nice balance and I kind of like the way it turned out. I hope one of our heroes will be pleased to receive it.

Parting Thoughts

Thanks for stopping by. Have a fun, patriotic, and safe Fourth of July holiday. And, happy scrappin!

No comments: