Friday, February 8, 2013

A Cupcake Walt Disney Could Love

Happy weekend everyone,

Maybe it's just a piece of Disney folklore -- or a bit of wishful thinking, but there's a story I've heard about Walt Disney that I think of at the most random times.

As the story goes, young Walt was drawing flowers during an assignment to draw a still life. As his elementary school teacher walked past, she was shocked -- and dismayed -- to see flowers with faces and arms. When she informed Walt that flowers don't have faces, Walt replied, "My flowers do."

I can't ever watch Fantasia without thinking of this story. (And, I often times wonder what that teacher would've given to have kept that youthful drawing of smiling flowers.) I was reminded of the story once again when I saw a smiling cupcake face on the cover of Imaginisce's Hello, Cupcake! 6 by 6 pad.

Happy Cupcake to You!

Paper: Imaginisce Hello, Cupcake!, AC cardstock
Tools: Creative Memories cutting system
Techniques: fussy cutting, paper piecing, inking in Close to My Heart Desert Sand

This card was made for this week's OWH Midweek Challenge to make a "card 4 kids". The top of the cupcake is double layered. In addition, the cupcake edges were inked and this little guy was adhered using 3D dots. I'm thinking of trying Barb's marker trick along the inside edge of the teal outline circle.

In case you can't tell, a circle was cut out from the front of the card. The cupcake is attached to two circles on the inside of the card.

I originally cut out the cupcake that was on the cover of the paper pad. However, it was a little too large for the cut-out circle. So, I scanned the cut-out cupcake with our computer's all-in-one printer and printed slightly smaller images. The printed images aren't as glossy. But, printing out multiple images allowed me to double up the top of the cupcake, which I couldn't have done if I'd just used the cover cut-out.

If you look closely, you'll see three of the candles on the front of the card also have flames with smiling faces. I'm hoping this little card will bring a smile to the face of a little one knowing that someone special is thinking of him or her on their special day. :)

Parting Thought

Happy cupcake, happy weekend, and happy scrappin'!

2 comments:

Donna Nuce said...

My gosh - a lot of work for one cupcake! But a very cute card. Have a great day!

Carol L said...

Oh my gosh, how CUTE is this card with all those smiley faces?! Adorable! You put a lot of time into making this cut-out card, but it's sure to delight the recipient! Who wouldn't love that cupcake! Too cute!
:)
Thanks too for the kind words on my featured card at OWH! MWAH!!