Monday, March 19, 2012

Monday Musings

Hi, everyone,

Thankfully the past weekend was much calmer than the end of the week. This allowed for time to make cards and watch basketball -- often at the same time!

OWH Sketch #113

Isn't it interesting how some cards are born so quickly -- almost effortlessly? Guess this week's sketch was really lucky #13 because this was one of those times.

The sketch inspired the Any Hero Card below. To use the digi sentiment, I rotated the design to make a horizontal card -- and I tweaked the smaller rectangular strip just a tad.


Paper: Bo Bunny Liberty collection, BasicGrey kraft, Bazzill Watermelon and Admiral;
Fabric: leftover blue mesh, Canvas Corp burlap sheet jute; OWH digi
I was thrilled with the texture and dimension added by the mesh and jute!  :)


CFC44

This week's CAS-ual Friday challenge is to make a card with a pattern, an image, and a sentiment. And, I think this little lion card below fits the bill.
  • Pattern: Croc Embossing
  • Image: Paper-Pieced Lion
  • Sentiment: "Have a ROARing Good Day!"

DLTK pattern, EK Success 3-heart punch,
Sizzix croc embossing folder, Kaiser rhinestones,
computer-generated font
The idea for this card first came when I was in need of an animal to make a kiddie card for OWH's Virtual Card-Making Party. After a little searching, I came across an adorable lion pattern at DLTK. And, if I do say so myself, a ROARing cute lion was born.  :)

One Last Cupcake

Remember that adorable cupcake illustration by Elizabeth O. Dulemba? Well, it turned out that I printed and colored a 6-pack of those, the last of which was used on the card below.  This card will be going to a colleague who has become a treasured mentor.


Paper: ???? -- from my leftover stash -- and wish there were more of the gingham print
Acrylics: Cranberry Wine/Midnight Blue, Golden Straw/Russet, Moroccan Red, Light Ivory
Scalloped Circle: White Bazzill Chipboard, painted with Cranberry Wine
Accents: Pinkish/Purple Gems and Metallic Penned-Sprinkles
 A Thank You for a Friend

On Friday, I mentioned that a friend at work had a surprised me with a great display rack to use for my card-making endeavors. As a little thank you, I put together a packet of cards for her.

5 handmade cards, "wrapped" in tulle

The finishing touch: A tag-like thank you card tucked inside its own envelope









In the pack, I included the following cards: a masculine thank you, a romantic vintage,  a primary-colored ABC, a "Kind Words Can Conquer", and a feminine pink/cream/black animal print. Seemed like a nice variety.

The tulle bow made for the perfect "wrapping". And, the thank you tag, which was made by mixing and matching assorted leftovers/garage sale finds, topped it all off very nicely. :)  She was definitely surprised -- but probably not as surprised as I was last week!

 
Parting Thoughts

Time to link up some cards.  :)

Have a great week!  Happy scrappin'!

11 comments:

Donna Hanley said...

Whoa, you've been busy in that room of yours. Good for you. All of your cards are just delightful and I LOVE that pack of cards you made for your friends. After receiving that as a thank you she will be hunting for things to give you just to get more of your cards. Have a great week.

Julie said...

Great cards, Sybrina! I love the textures you got from the mesh and jute! Thanks for joining us in this week's OWH Stars & Stamps Sketch Challenge!

airbornewife said...

Great cards. I really like the "Hero" one. thanks for sharing your artwork. ~ Pam

Carol L said...

Great projects! I really like the mesh on the first card - what a great look!

Paper Therapy Ponderings said...

great sketch card - that is a great digi to use on cards thanks for playing along

Barb Housner

Bernardine Cuttino said...

Beautiful cards, loving the first, great texture and design. A great Any Hero card

Jen M said...

Love your owh card! The jute and mesh are great!

Linda said...

Awesome Any Hero Card! Love the papers and textures! Thanks for sharing!!!

Michele Gross said...

Great cards! Your little lion is soooo cute! Thanks for playing at CAS-ual Fridays!

One Scrappy Gal said...

Great cards, especially the Hero one! Wherever did you find that sentiment?

Elizabeth O Dulemba said...

Hi Sybrina, It's been a while, but I'm featuring your cupcake card in my April 23, 2013 Coloring Page Tuesday newsletter to help celebrate 5 years of coloring pages!! (WOW!) Please help spread the word, I'm doing birthday images all month at http://dulemba.com/index_ColoringPages.html .
Cheers!
e