Thursday, September 22, 2011

Falling for You Snowman

I'll admit I have Christmas cards on the brain. So, the OWH challenge to do something round  at Robyn's Fetish meshed with my earlier VCMP "Falling for You" challenge. And this little snowman came to life.


There are a couple of things I love about this card.
  • It was my first time to use the heat embossing technique I learned in a card-making class.
  • The card combines two of my loves: card making and painting.
The circles forming the body and the snowflakes were punched from a metallic-like, textured, light gray cardstock. The sentiment was embossed with EK Success silver embossing powder. Since I have a rack full of acrylic paints from my tole painting days, the following paints were used to bring out this little guy's personality.
  • Light Ivory for the spattered background,
  • Midnight Blue and French Grey Blue for the shadows on the right side of his body,
  • Light Ivory and Warm White for the highlights on his left side, 
  • Sand for his arms,
  • Burnt Orange and Heritage Brick for his nose, and
  • Soft Black for his eyes and buttons. 
Not bad for a first combination painting/card making effort. I'm thinking future Falling for You Snowmen cards should be on darker blue cardstock -- with a more gray/ivory/white embossing powder. But, all in all, I'm pretty pleased with the way this little guy turned out.

No comments: